Monday, November 12, 2012

My Dreams Are Trying to Kill Me

We have a really crummy mattress and some nights are just ineffectual for sleeping what with the excruciating back pain and what not. So, when everyone's finally gone for the morning, I'll frequently plop on our smaller couch and nod off. Sitting up. I don't know why, I don't understand why I prefer up to reclined, and frankly it doesn't matter because 9 times out of 10, a really nice hour, hour-and-a-half nap is just the ticket and I can on about my day relatively refreshed. But then there are those '1 time out of 10' naps where dreams take over and I end up more tired than I was before. For one example, find the entry called "The Dream of What the F" and you'll see what I mean. Well this one was daffy almost to the point of making me wet the couch.

You see we have a set of wooden stairs that lead to the basement where our laundry room, storage room, and door to the garage are located. I've been up and down those things, in the dimly lit halo of the two lights probably a couple hundred times and I don't ever stop to think, "Say, I'd be willing to bet, self, that there's a creepy-ass ghost right behind you!" I don't think that because, in general, ghosts don't really scare me. I've seen a few and I can generally tell when a place is overrun with them. Our house isn't, ergo: no need to be concerned. Anyway, in this particular dream, I had just come up the stairs with a basket of laundry when I realize I've left the light on in the laundry room. So I set the basket down, and as I turn to go back down I see what is affectionately referred to as a shadow being crouching on the steps glaring at me.

Most shadow beings that I've heard about or seen on TV are typically just shapes, no real distinguishable forms to indicate human features. Sure, some have maybe an arm or a head that looks pretty right, but not always. This one, however was clear as day: full body outline, perfect features, and the size and shape of a little child. It just sat there with its hands out at me and as I saw it, this piercing wail like a train whistle erupted from its head like an alarm. I could do nothing more than scream back at it in such utter terror that I honestly felt tears welling up in my dream eyes and my real eyes.

I jerked awake and just sat there, dumbfounded. I had only been asleep for maybe 20 minutes, I had the TV on to SportsCenter, but the volume was really really low, so I'm sure it wasn't a noise from that. I sat there and looked around making sure someone hadn't gotten in somehow; checked the phone (no caller ID), and my cell... nothing. I gathered myself and decided I probably ought to check the stairs and the laundry room just to be sure... hey, when you're a believer, you're a believer. Went out the door, down the steps, into the laundry room, looked around, went out and back up and, not surprisingly: nothing. I was just a bit disappointed but relieved just the same.

I didn't go back to sleep, by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment