Friday, October 19, 2012

The one about what's good on TV.

I don't typically go around projecting my likes and dislikes of television shows, I just don't really think anyone cares and I feel the same about those who ramble on to me about the same. But, I figured for one time only, what the hell. Heck, maybe even you like some of these, too!

Doctor Who - If you're not a fan, or even just a casual viewer, I implore you to give this show a once over just to see what you think. And no, you don't have to have a working knowledge of Who's past to tune in. I mean I guess it helps to know that The Doctor is a time traveler who does so in an old Police Call Box, and frequently travels with a companion or two. But that's really the extent. Try it out once and let me know what you think. It's on a hiatus right now till the Christmas special, but you'll typically catch it Saturday nights on BBC (which is Charter channel 100). If you want to see some of last season's episodes, WGVU airs them I think Thursdays at 11pm. Great show, great writing, and Matt Smith is just a joy to watch.

Survivor - This is one of those reality shows that managed to escape the inundation back a few years ago when it seemed nothing else was ever on. I'm not going to explain the premise since I'm relatively sure you've all at least read about it. And I'll even admit that even though I enjoy the show, there have been a few seasons that I couldn't get into because of the vapid characters. This season is quite good though and if you like shows that really do feel quite real and have a bit of a human element, then maybe you'll like Survivor. Besides, Jeff Probst is a pretty cool host.

Elementary - If you like mysteries that, so far (three episodes in) rival most of what CSI has had to offer over the past few seasons, then you'll love Elementary. Just because his name is Sherlock Holmes (Johnny Lee Miller) doesn't mean that he's a fluffy, out-of-touch codger, even if he is a Brit with a bite. He acts like classic Holmes only in his style of deductive reasoning and penchant for acting in solitude. Beyond that, he fits perfectly into modern story lines and present day crimes. His Watson is Lucy Liu and even though I'm not a huge fan of her work, she is really great in the roll of a substance abuse counselor/former doctor and plays off Miller's idiosyncrasies really nicely. I highly recommend this new show and it airs Thursdays at 10 on CBS.

Parks and Rec. - This show has really fallen into its own over the past few seasons, and so far this newest one -where Leslie Knope (Poehler) is finally a Pawnee city councilwoman- has jumped right into the funny. Nick Offerman as Ron Swanson, Aubrey Plaza as April Ludgate, Chris Pratt as Andy Dwyer, and adam Scott as Ben Wyatt are consistently funny and round out one of the consistently funniest shows on TV.

The Big Bang Theory - What can I say about this show that everyone doesn't already know: the life and times of four genius nerds and their ridiculously hot neighbor... not to mention a new wife, an awkward girl friend, and Outer Space! Just all round awesomeness and supreme hilarity. Sadly, I came in late to this show (two seasons ago), but I have since remedied that and have caught up on all the ones I've missed. This show is so much fun to watch and I can just see myself hanging out with these people. Wonderful show.

The Simpsons-Family Guy-American Dad-Archer - All cartoons and all great in their own right. Sure, The Simpsons has taken a more slippery approach to comedy lately making a few episodes more just miss than home runs, but it's still a great show for how long it's been around. Family Guy and American Dad are two of Seth McFarlane's trio that air on FOX Sundays and though both are still rife with Pop Culture and overtly Right Wing humor, I have to admit that American Dad has gotten far funnier over the years and has become one of my favorite shows. Archer is just about perfect as an adult toon with a superb voice cast and just as rabidly filthy humor as you're likely to find. No word yet on when the new season starts, but I suspect November.

The Walking Dead - Season three started with more action and zombie slaughtering than nearly the whole of last season, and that's great because I know I'm not the only one who was getting sick to death of the farm and Carl's inability to stay in the house. He's now just as kick-ass as his dad Rick, and both share a snarling loathing towards their mom/wife and I know for a fact that that ire isn't going anywhere soon. I'm not real fond of her either, so, I'm okay with that. The ragtag band of survivors have finally found themselves somewhere to hole up in a somewhat deserted prison, but all isn't what it seams and things are about to go south really quickly. Michonne and her walker pets is now a permanent member of the cast and it's nice to not only see a new African American cast member, but one who is just epic with a sword. Did I mention pet walkers? So cool. Watch this show Sundays at 10 pm on AMC.

Comic Book Men - I am a HUGE Kevin Smith fan, and this show is the perfect outlet for his irreverent and highly addictive humor. He hosts the PodCast part of the show, but ultimately it focuses on his store, 'Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash' in Red Bank New Jersey. It's a a comic book and collectibles store where four of Smith's life-long friends work and otherwise take care of the place. It's basically 'Pawn Stars' focusing on the world of comics and its like media. It's funny, often times poignant, and sometimes heart-warming. It's a great show and airs right after The Walking Dead at 11:30.

So there ya go. Yeah, I watch a few more shows, but this is the bulk. Now, go watch more TV, fools!

No comments:

Post a Comment